The Bull Og

Onine since 1994. Offline since 1976.

See also the archive

The five most recent posts.

Getting a Fitbit

Back in 2006, my wife came up with an idea for her Master’s thesis around the concept of a gamified pedometer and “tackled the challenge of motivating people to exercise more using a device which encourages physical activity of its users in an entertaining way and reinforces positive exercise habits.” Here I am in 2014; considering getting a Fitbit (a little pre-Christmas gift to myself?)

Which one should I get?

Making a Choice

As I scan the Fitbit website, it’s obivous I need to figure out what my main Use Case is going to be.

Checking out the Charge HR, I’m reminded of a time years ago when I used something very similar: my Timex Ironman Triathlon heart-rate monitor! Wondering where it was, I dug around in my belongings and sure enough, I found it (albeit dusty):

Timex Ironman Triathlon

Wow; not sure how long ago I got that. I think I was living in Vienna, so it’s at least eight years old. I could have sworn I got it shipped to me via Amazon but I don’t see it listed anywhere in my last 12 years (12!) of order history with them, so I must have picked it up there at some brick-and-mortar store.

Anyways, the Charge HR isn’t even available yet and judging by how much dust the Timex has collected in the last five years, maybe that’s not the best model for me right now.

The Surge looks like it does everything under the sun. “Music Control” - very intriguing. One problem; also not yet available.

While comparing the wearable models, I came across the Aria and wonder how it compares with the Withings scale. I bet the value-add is how well it integrates within the Fitbit ecosystem.

I’m a little hesitant to even consider any of the timepiece models as a replacement for the beautiful watch my wife got me for my birthday years ago, so that rules out the Charge, Charge HR, and the Surge and really only leaves the Zip, One, and Flex.

I’ve been waking up fairly early recently so I definitely think it would be helpful to have a model that tracks my sleep habits, eliminating the Zip.


Between the One and the Flex, I think I’m going to go with the One. I really don’t want to wear a second item on my wrist in addition to my watch so the One it is.

Dec 10, 2014

I’ve seen this error a number of times:

Cannot perform operations on a Metamorph that is not in the DOM

… and I’ll admit, I’ve not known exactly what a Metamorph is but for the most part, I can usually remember whatever it was that I just did that caused the error, undo, and find a different way.

Today, the thought crossed my mind: “What is a Metamorph?” and that’s when I went digging.

I knew from having seen the “metamorph-#-start/end” references in script tags that it was part of the magic that makes Ember.js bindings work, but I didn’t know exactly where it came from.

Suprisingly, I couldn’t find any search results answering the question. It was only after digging through some stackoverflow answers that my curiosity was satisfied when I found this.

Oct 29, 2012

tl;dr : Capybara with phantomjs is the fastest solution around

Years ago, I loved Selenium for everything it made possible, particularly for the Firefox plugin that made it so easy to script-record a user acceptance test and dump it for automation.

Over the years, I have done my fair share of futzing around with Selenium, and when I took a look at Lebowski a few months ago, I thought I had found a silver bullet. It’s really a clean solution for managing everything around acceptance testing, that is, if you’re going to use Selenium.

Today, my solution of choice is Capybara with PhantomJS/poltergeist

So far, Capybara’s DSL is so clean and robust for programmatically defining any user action I’ve come up with. I don’t have any benchmarks to share at this time for vanilla-Capybara tests vs. Capybara w/headless JS (poltergeist) but suffice it to say, I spend noticably less time at the command line.

More to come on how to (acceptance) test your Ember.js apps using Capybara/poltergeist.

Oct 15, 2012

Get started with #emberjs and #yeoman with a simple “yeoman init ember-starter”

Sep 10, 2012

I finally brought Resumatic into the 21st century; it’s now a Rails 3.2.0 app.

While I originally intended to go step-by-step, whereby I was going to wrap the app with some regression tests, upgrade, run the tests to prove I didn’t (or did) break something, and then be happy, I soon tired of that given the many dependencies (RSpec, rvm, Rails, etc.)

Given the size of the app, I just decided to get a fresh gemset, install Rails 3.2.0, create a new container project via ‘new’, and then copy all the necessary files from the Rails 2 version in to the Rails 3 container, tweaking wherever new syntax was required.

Someday I’ll add tests…

Jul 23, 2012